Souvenir of a family gathering in the presence of many invited people among whom :
- Cardinal SARAIVA MARTINS, Portuguese orgin, emeritus prefect of the Congregation of the cause of saints. He is especially sent by his Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.
- Cardinal Ivan DIAS, prefect of the Congregation for the evangelization of the people.
- Cardinal Eusebio Oscar SCHEID, archbishop of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Cardinal Paul POUPARD, emeritus prefect of the Council for Culture
- Carinal Bernard PANAFIEU, emeritus archbishop of Marseille
- Madame Christine Boutin, Minister du homes and towns, delegated minister by the French government.
- Le Cardinal Dias salue Madame Boutin. A ses côtés, Mgr Pican, le Cardinal Poupard à droite, M. Bernard Aubril, maire de Lisieux, à gauche
Many nations came to acclaim the newly blessed couple. On this Missionary Sunday, one could hear French, English, Portuguese, Slovak, Russian, Chinese,… In all, more than 12000 people present. Without counting the 173 million television viewers who followed the event live on television.
Rite for the Beatification during the ceremony
Fr. P. Antonio Sangalli, vice postulate for the cause of the Martin couple, in the name of the postulate Fr. P. Siméon of the Holy Family, draws the profile of the couple, bringing out the reason for their beatification.
The Bishops of the Sees of Alençon and of Bayeux-Lisieux then address their petition to t he Legate, asking him to precede with the beatification.
Cardinal Saraiva Martins, in the name of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, proclaimed the decree for the beatification.
- Cardinal Saraiva Martins
- proclame Louis et Zélie Martin « bienheureux »
The assembly expressed its joy and acknowledgment by singing : « Laudate Dominum, louez le Seigneur »
The Reliquary was revealed by the young Pietro Schiliro, who was miraculously cured by the parents. From outside the crowds are in united. Only she will see the fireworks which mark the event.
- le reliquaire des bienheureux
- dévoilé sous un tonnerre d’applaudissements
A real family celebration
- sur l’esplanade de la Basilique
The esplanade which was left quiet all during the ceremony was then turned into a place for a picnic offering the possibility for families and volunteers to exchange, discovering with the time anecdotes and the real life of the Martin family, so very like ours in many ways.
- sur le parvis de la Basilique
In the meantime to make the couple Louis and Zélie Martin better known, stands presented reviews from the Sanctuary and the correspondence between Louis and Zélie among which 10 letters will be read in theatrical form in the afternoon.
- Jeu scénique à la basilique
- lecture de 10 lettres de Madame Martin
A « meeting point » encouraged exchanges among families over a cup of coffee. All of this in a festive atmosphere.
- En avant la musique
- c’est la fête sur le parvis de la Basilique
In short, with a beautiful sunshine, it was a successful day thanks notably to the help of numerous volunteers, all happy to give of themselves for this lovely cause.
The prayer intentions addressed through the intercession of the Martin couple quickly filled the basket placed near the reliquary.
- la foule
- vénère les reliques des bienheureux
- « I give thanks with all of my heart to the Blessed Louis and Zélie Martin…on this day of 19th October last, while I was still moved by the magnificence of the ceremony for the beatification, a message was waiting for me which came from one of my daughters who hadn’t given me any news for two years : she has accepted to meet me on 13th November next, on the day of her 50th birthday. What joy ! It was a great moment of grace. Thank you. » Mme D.
- Intentions de prière
- Bienheureux Louis et Zélie, priez pour nous
- « I have been married for 2 months, and for my husband and me it was very important to give ourselves to the protection of Louis and Zélie, who we cherish in particular. In the afternoon of the beatification, while the reliquary of the blessed couple was exposed on the platform outside of the Basilica, a lot of people were hurrying to touch it, but the people who were responsible for the security only allowed the children to go beside it and to kiss the reliquary. I was looking at the reliquary with love whenb one of the guards took me by the hand and said to me with the voice of a grandfather : “go on little one, go and give Louis and Zélie a little kiss”. In fact I am 20 years old but he thought I was only12. Alleluia ! without thinking I jumped onto the platform and I put my arms around the reliquary and kissed the sculpted picture of the face of Louis. In my head I was thanking the Blessed couple with all my heart, what grace, what kind thought ! and it has always been like that since I met Thérèse ! The doctrine of Thérèse, is to become like a child and it was especially true for me ! » Joséphine